Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Motivational Phrase or Quotation:


"The only goal you can't accomplish is the one you don't go after!"

by Vilis Ozols

Every once in a while someone says something that sticks with you for your entire life. If you're lucky you've had that experience where someone you respect says something so profound that you never forget it. In my case, what they said became "who I am" and what I'm all about. It is the secret to whatever success I might have enjoyed, business-wise, sports-wise or in the speaking profession. It defines me. It is the the quote up above.

This is how it happened for me. I was attending my first formal volleyball clinic up in Toronto as a 13 year old, and I was precocious enough to tell the seminar leader that I aspired to play on the Olympic Volleyball team. At 6'3" I was (and still am) considered short by international volleyball standards, and the instructor told me that the only way I'd make it was by being a great defensive player. He told me the secret was to play with the attitude, "that the only ball you can't get is the one that you don't go after."

Well, to make a long story short, I became a defensive "wild man," ended up playing international volleyball on the Canadian team, and have evolved that advice to a more global perspective.

I seen a couple of situations where someone has received advice like this, has had it impact them dramatically, and, interestingly enough they, in retrospect, maybe didn't even recognize the significance it had on them.

Today's Motivational Challenge:
1. What's the best piece of advice you ever received?
2. Who gave it to you?
3. Have you ever thanked them or let them know how it affected you?
4. Are you passing it along to others?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the inaugural posting for my new motivational speaker blog. I'm planning on posting an eclectic mix of contributions including recommended reading resources, favorite motivational quotations, insights and reflections from the world of professional speaking and probably more than my share of ramblings. Article is very nice

marc said...

good

George rosenberg said...

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. I am glad to share another Motivational speakerat this juncture. He is Drew berman, a leading motivational speaker with powerful resources to motivate people. His renowned ideas endow everlasting success to his followers.

Motivational speaker said...

A good motivational speaker must provide the best platform for further proceedings, and his words must imitate the audience with their thought.

motivational speaker Adelaide said...

Great post! One thing I have learned through my experience is that if you really want to succeed, always do what you are afraid to do.